Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reassessing is not giving up

With just five conversations completed, I have learned a great deal.

I had been thinking about this project for quite a long time before actually starting.  And when I finally started, it felt empowering.  I was so caught up in that feeling that I didn't take the time to contemplate what 500 conversations actually entailed.  It just sounded like a good number to me so that's what I declared.  I would interview 500 women uncovering their paths to success.

I learned from Conversation #2 with Moe Keller, former Colorado State Senator, that she took calculated risks on her path toward success.  She always gaged what she was going to take on and in turn, took the steps she felt she could do.  There may have been risk involved however it was calculated risk; a logical next step.

I surely did not follow Moe Keller's lead and gage what I was taking on before diving into this project.  I did not put thought into what 500 conversations actually meant; what it entailed.  I just jumped in head over heals with no game plan.  Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have dived into this project than not dived at all.  I'm proud for actually starting, yet I should have started on a smaller scale; beginning with a goal seemingly more attainable.  As I continued with this project, the thought of 500 conversations became rather daunting.

This leads me to another take away I learned in Conversation #5 with Cozy Friedman, Founder and CEO of Cozy's Cuts for Kids. After opening three kids-only hair salons, she took a step back and reassessed her situation and where she wanted to go.  At that point she decided not to open more salons and instead move forward with a line of kids hair-care products.  She wasn't giving up, she was changing direction based on her current situation and the future she saw for her business.

Now realizing that I took on more than I can handle with this project, I have reassessed my situation.  Based on this reassessment, I am changing my goal from 500 conversations to 125 conversations with women who have found success.  Believe me, 125 is still an undertaking however I feel like 125 is something I can take on, and more importantly, accomplish.  I sure could have used Moe Keller and Cozy's Friedman's advice before I started this project!  :)

Thanks for your continued support as I continue this journey.  Conversation #6 is coming this week so please check back.

And remember it's ok to reassess your goal and change course, just don't stop moving forward. 

Reassessing is not giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment